Got Milk?

POOR Weenie. Even though we were having fun together playing miniature golf, I had never given up looking for the white terrier. Willow has aroused in me a liking for all things "terror." But the Hallmark shops were still understocked.

Finally I consulted the store locator feature on the Webkinz site and found out that a small shop nearby was selling them. This was Love Street, right "up the road apiece," where I had bought the firecracker outdoor ornament last year. They sell gift-type items, things for baby showers, Crocs, garden decorations, and other things of that sort.

McDuffAnd, amazingly, they did have a white terrier.

It came with a pink polka-dot bow.

Have I mentioned lately how much I despise pink? :-) I snipped the bow off the actual stuffed animal and registered HIM as McDuff, after the West Highland White Terrier in the Rosemary Wells/Susan Jeffers' children's books, which are beautifully illustrated with 1940s-type pictures.

Pretty much almost immediately he was nicknamed "Duffy" and made comfortable in his own room with a drafting table. Each Webkinz comes with a special gift and McDuff's was a neon palm tree. It flashes in his room every time you enter.

MollyHowever, I was also seduced by a pair of bovine eyes. Way back we had begun a decorating scheme in the kitchen of cows and apples and it just seemed to snowball. We have Holstein cow containers and artwork, utensil holders and napkin holder and toothpick holder and Sweet'n'Low packet holder...well, you get the idea. There's even a tiny stuffed cow that used to be on the kitchen table.

So how could I resist a Webkinz cow with a winsome face and fuzz in her eyes?

I named her Molly after Molly Preston, the mother in Kate Seredy's The Open Gate, who was afraid of cows when the family first moved to the farm, and decorated her room with cream-colored furniture, farm wallpaper, and a cow bank.

So if I cuddle my cow too much am I "Molly-cow'dling" her? :-)