The Story of a Horse...

I grew up watching all those great animal series on television, first Lassie and then The Adventures of Rin-Tin-Tin, My Friend Flicka, Wild Kingdom, and National Velvet. My favorite, however, of all the series featuring or starring a horse was that wonderful "story of a horse and the boy who loved him," Fury. Bobby Diamond starred as Joey, an orphan boy who was adopted by rancher Jim Newton (Peter Graves) after the boy falls in love with a wild black stallion that Jim captured on the range. For six seasons Joey and Fury had adventures around the Broken Wheel Ranch owned by Jim and his grizzled partner Pete Wilkey (William Fawcett). (Ann Robinson of War of the Worlds fame played Joey's schoolteacher, and Roger Mobley, later to be Walt Disney's intrepid newsboy Gallegher, made his series premiere as Homer "Packy" Lambert in later episodes.)

EclipseGiven that, how could I resist Ganz' new black stallion? I found him in a candy store, of all places, a place called Fuzziwig's at the Avenue at East Cobb. I thought the name fit his color without being stereotypical. "Fury" seemed pretty big (horse)shoes to fit in. :-)