The Deluge

I had JoAnn coupons, so we went to Town Center today. After indulging in a skein of one of DMC's specialty embroidery threads, James wanted to go to Hobbytown, which is in the next shopping center.

Oh, my. They'd refilled their Webkinz stocks. Three big spinner racks were in front of the checkout counter.

James decided he would like to have the chocolate Labrador, which just came out. I wasn't going to get anything for myself until I noticed one of the Lil Kinz cats, which had the most woebegone expression. He reminded me of Neville Longbottom.

NevilleThat's what I named him, too. This is the Alley cat, which is an orange tabby and white, and although I had seen them before, I didn't notice until we got into the car that they have two different color eyes. One is green and one is blue. It gives the animal a rather cockeyed, endearing look.

Well, when we got home I figured there was no reason to hold off anymore. I had gotten another pack of cards with a second virtual pet (a frog). James had also collected a virtual pet card (a panda).

So I ended up signing up all five of them at once and spent the rest of the afternoon doing virtual decorating of rooms. This is a lot less expensive than the real thing. LOL.

James also signed both his husky and his Lab up as well. He wanted to give the Labrador a name that reflected his love of science fiction fandom and a chocolate-related name, but nothing stereotypical, like Cocoa or Hershey. There's a type of chocolate called "Dagobah," and of course that's the name of Yoda's home planet in The Empire Strikes Back. But Webkinz wouldn't allow him to use that name; I guess it picked up on "dago" and rejected it immediately. He named it Frye instead, after Fry's chocolate and Frye on Futurama.

PablitoBack in the 1960s, Walt Disney's Wonderful World of Color used to show these great animal stories, like "The Horse With the Flying Tail," "Flash the Teenage Otter," "Greta the Misfit Greyhound," etc. One of the stories was "Pablo and the Dancing Chihuahua." I can't remember the chihuahua's name after all these years, so I named my chihuahua the equivalent of "Little Pablo" instead.




GaudiorGaudior is named after the unicorn in Madeleine L'Engle's A Swiftly Tilting Planet.




CubbySome of my favorite books in elementary school were the animal stories by Anne H. White. One of them was about a golden retriever, A Dog Called Scholar. The dog only receives that name as an adult; as a puppy he is known as "Cubby," a perfect name for a Lil Kinz.




SunnyThe Lil Kinz bunny looks so much like Sunny, the rabbit in Rankin-Bass' The Easter Bunny is Coming to Town that I couldn't resist bestowing the name on him. Ironically, I have made him a "snow bunny" by creating a winter room for him.