Nostalgia Strikes Again

IF naming a Webkinz after Lowell Thomas wasn't enough, I've mined the past again.

Two of the first pets in Webkinz World were the Cheeky Dog and Cheeky Cat, and they have been hotly collected ever since. They are both cartoony looking animals, and IMHO, the Cat is the homeliest thing I've ever seen, both the stuffie and the avatar. On the other hand, the Dog avatar has always looked cute, but I'd never seen many pics of the stuffie to form an opinion. I do know both of them sell for about $250-$300 on E-bay.

Mighty ManfredGanz reported a new "cheeky surprise" for the new year in Webkinz Insider and it was fulfilled with the release this month of the black and white Cheeky Dog. I saw a photo of it and decided if it really looked that cute I might buy one.

It does and I did. He reminded me of something I'd seen on TV.

Of course he isn't pink (but then I only saw the show in black and white anyway), but he reminded me a good deal of Mighty Manfred, the sidekick of Tom Terrific, one of the cartoons that was shown on Captain Kangaroo back in the 1960s. Hence the name.