Recent Adoptions

BeatrixUSED to drive my mother nuts since I always loved mice. I didn't want them in my house, mind you, but I liked looking at them and wasn't afraid of them, like my mom was (but she had due cause: when she was a girl she saw a baby who had been bitten by a rat). Mom always told the tale about the night we were at the mall and a crowd was gathering around one of the sunken seating areas that were popular in malls back then. We asked someone what everyone was looking at, and they said there was a mouse under one of the seats. My mom nearly had a cow when I excused myself through the crowd and got down on my knees to peek at the cute little meadow mouse who was huddling under the seat!

She wrote about all cute little animal characters, so I thought it was quite appropriate to name this little mouse after Beatrix Potter.

SarangSarang the tiger is named after the tiger who was on the series Daktari (which took place in Africa; I can't remember why they had a tiger in Africa).

The real Sarang was one of Ralph Helfer's animals at "Africa USA," which supplied the wild creatures that appeared on the series. They were famous for being "affection trained" rather than ruled with whips and prods as the old-style animal "tamers" used to do it in the past.

I highly recommend Helfer's Zamba and Toni Ringo Helfer's The Gentle Jungle to folks who want to read about animals.