Lowell of Arabia

LowellI was faced with a surfeit of names for a grey horse, but somehow all of them didn't fit. There was February Callendar's "Grey Arab" (very simple), Dr. Syn's Gehenna (too grim), and Woodpigeon (name of the grey horse in the Flambards series), but all were older grey horses, who turn white as they get older (Lipizzaners start out black, then grey until they are completely white). A horse the color of soot was ... well, yeah, a horse of a different color.

Then I remembered the joke about calling an Arabian horse "Lawrence," coupled with Thursday's Young Indiana Jones in which he meets Lowell Thomas, who was the man who brought young "Ned" to the public's attention. Lowell Thomas' biography, Good Evening, Everybody, is one of my favorites of all time and was a particular favorite during my college years; I had it with me on one of our cross-country tours. Since the documentary that followed the Young Indy tale was fresh in my mind...